*hears a single word from a foreign language that i know* Wow. haha not to toot my own horn or anything but did you guys know that you are in the presence of a sophisticated linguist
Remember, if you’re doing something and you’re not being paid for it, it’s a hobby."
Syd Mead(via len-yan)
Anonymous said: hi, i'm sorry if this has been asked but in your powerpoint you said that the tumblr sj community is guilty of antisemitism. what kind of things has it done? also, i love your blog!
I’ll take this one since I’m the blog’s resident Jew. Oy vey, where do I start…
- SJ community loves to police Jewish identity and silence actual Jews when they talk about their own identities. This usually happens in context of either “Are Jews White?” or “Jewishness is just a religion” conversations. In reality, Jews are an ethnoreligious group that ethnically originated in the middle east, and while some ethnic Jews have light skin, it’s actually due to centuries of forced assimilation in European and Slavic countries through rape, which is a big reason why Jewishness is matrilineal. Furthermore, there exist Jews who do not look white at all. There are black, brown, and asian Jews who are all ethnically Jewish, and these conversations erase them.
- "Jewish privilege". Fact: It’s not a thing. It’s actually a very common anti-semitic trope that says that Jews run everything so they are not oppressed. Jews are oppressed, and face anti-semitic violence.
- "Anti-semitism is not just about Jews, there are other semitic people." While yea, there are other semitic people, the term "anti-semitism" was created by Germans in the 19th century to refer specifically to the hatred of Jews because it sounded more scientific.
- Blaming anti-semitic violence in Europe on the actions of Israel. I see this literally every single day on this site, and it’s very upsetting. Jews that live in the diaspora are not responsible for Israel’s actions, and especially should not be suffering at the hands of white people in Europe under the guise of anti-zionism.
- Finally, and this is a big pet peeve of mine. The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.
That’s enough for now. If you’re interested in learning more about Jewish identity and anti-semitism, you are welcome to check out my personal blog: yochevedke. I discuss that stuff a lot.
Another Jew reblogging about anti-semitism. I’ve seen some increase in concern about this from goyim, but it’s been slow going. Hopefully we’ll pick up a big head of steam soon.
“The only people I ever see reblogging posts about anti-semitism are other Jews. Even a lot of my non-Jewish followers will reblog posts about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. but ignore posts about anti-semitism, and that as a Jew makes me feel unsafe.”
As a Jew, I’m actually terrified to talk about antisemitism when I see it, cause it’s been so belittled and minimized for me.
Please call it out, guys, just like you would any other kind of bigotry or racism.
I am not Jewish and am thoroughly uneducated on this subject. Until reading this post I had never even heard the term anti-semitic before. I know it isn’t much but I hope my reblogging of this is at least something.
I’m not sure whether to be reassured or terrified that anti-Semitism isn’t a well known thing in Korea, but still, good on this person for doing what they can for awareness.
Fellow Jew reblogging this. And yeah, the OP got everything right.
When’s the last time you saw a post about Frazier Glenn Miller?
As a non-Jew, it’s pretty terrifying to see the rise in anti-semitism in Europe and just in general. I go on youtube videos with a Jewish person or character or about Jews and all the top rated comments are some variation of violent hatred against Jews. People used the incident in Gaza as some fucked up justification to reason out why they hate Jews. You’d think the hatred of Jews went out with Nazism but neo-Nazism dressed up pretty is on the rise once more and even before that people still found reasons to reason out their anti-semitism.
For what reason? The same reason anyone has any prejudice against a race or religion—intolerance, hatred, ignorance.
If anti-semitism doesn’t scare the crap out of you then you should be ashamed to call yourself a defender of social justice.
And as they said above, Jewish privilege is not a thing. In fact, the idea that Jews have some kind of economic hold is just another harmful stereotype that has been propagated by the media since the days of Hitler himself. And you’re just ascribing to the same ideals Hitler did.
Fact: if you hate Jews, you are just like Hitler, the murderer of 6 million, no matter how many justifications you try to find to say otherwise.
Another Jew reblogging this.